Spa Studies in the News
Coyle Hospitality Group and WTS International Reveal Latest Spa Consumer Trends and Insights
NEW YORK, Nov. 4 — Coyle Hospitality Group, the hospitality industry’s leading market research and quality assurance firm, and WTS International, a world leader in spa management/consulting, have teamed up to provide the industry with ground-breaking research on spa consumer sentiment. The goal was to help spa operators align their programs and offerings to match what guests truly want during these uncertain economic times.
Over 1,300 active spa-goers were surveyed in September 2009 about their buying patterns, spending habits, best spa experiences, and other ‘hot topics’ regarding spas.
“We found it particularly interesting that, despite the economy, many of the respondents could be swayed to spend more at spas with the right motivating forces, some of which were unexpected,” said Arthur Chang VP of Development at Coyle Hospitality Group. “People need to feel like their treatments are truly an “investment” in their well being and are looking for getting a value. Many also commented that they would be drawn to spas that are somehow giving back to the community.”
Some findings from the results are as follows:
- 74% cited word-of-mouth referrals as their primary method of selecting a new spa
- 69% had their most recent spa experience at a location near where they live; 21% were at a hotel they stayed at for leisure
- 84% say it is important for therapists to explain products and their benefits during the treatment
- 82% are interested in buying a series package in order to achieve benefits of skin care
- 81% cited discounts, not free treatments, as their number one reason to try a new spa
- What are the most important factors, facility offerings, and added-value attributes in selecting spas and treatments?
- What spa deals and offerings are the most attractive for consumers?
- Which companies are the most reputable in respondents’ minds?
- What are the main issues preventing someone from returning to a spa?
- What were the make or break reasons for the 1,000 best and worst spa experiences?
About Coyle Hospitality GroupCoyle Hospitality Group, based in New York, N.Y., is a market research leader designing and implementing mystery shopping programs and providing brand quality measurement services exclusively to spas, hotels, resorts, restaurants, timeshares, and cruises worldwide. Having referred professional evaluators for over 50,000 successful evaluations, Coyle is uniquely positioned to help hospitality companies align their services for optimal guest satisfaction and loyalty.
About WTS International
Based in Rockville, M.D., WTS International specializes in spa, fitness, and leisure facility consulting and management. At present, the firm is working with numerous hotels, resorts, luxury residential projects, and real estate developments throughout the U.S. and abroad. www.wtsinternational.com